In the natural hair community, oil has become our best friend. We use it for hot oil treatments, mix it with our conditioner as a pre poo, and even use it with a gel to seal in our moisturizer. Oil add luster and shine to hair but not using the correct oil can have negative effects on your hair and its growth. Below are a few oils that are popular in the natural hair community and the uses for each. Before you go pouring oil all over your hair, take time to research each oil and its use correctly.
Effective moisturizer for dry, brittle, damaged hair. Packed with healthy hair vitamins A,B,D, and E as well as other ingredients that help to prevent damage to the hair. These vitamins also help protect the scalp and feed the hair follicles while the amino acids promote healthy cell growth.
- Moisturizes dry, brittle, and damage hair
- Replenishes the hair with vitamins
- Repairs Damage
- Prevents Hair Loss
Coconut is one of the few oils that have the ability to penetrate the cortex (the inner part of hair) which can help improve its strength and flexibility. The means less breakage and damage from combing and heat styling
- Stimulates hair growth getting deep into its follicles
- Moisturizes dry hair
- Anti-dandruff – The fatty acids in coconut oil serve as a good anti-dandruff product. Far better than any anti-dandruff shampoo
- Add luster, shine, and softness to the hair
- Prevents hair breakage and split ends which contribute to hair length/retention
- Slows down hair loss
Olive oil is a powerful tool when it comes to hair, skin, and beauty. Rich with moisturizing properties, it makes it ideal for use on your hair. Olive oil is most beneficial for dry, thick hair. Advocates say it can keep hair moist and strong. Olive oil tends to weigh down thinner hair. Oily hair and scalps simply don’t need the conditioning.
- Promote Scalp Health – it can even reduce the damage done by hair care product or overuse of styling products
- Condition the Hair
- Stop Split End – olive oil can help subdue the hair that is reacting to dry and cold weather by adding the extra moisture that the hair needs.
- Adds Strength and Shine – Vitamins A & E in olive oil can help to make the hair strands stronger and shinier.
- Manager Hair Easily
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Jamaican black castor oil is a special kind of castor oil. It is different from the typical yellowish kind of castor oil that is popularly available due to the process by roasting castor beans. It is more potent and powerful than ordinary castor oil as it is raw and unprocessed. This is the purest form of hair or skin treatment you can get a hold of because no chemicals and ingredients/impurities have been to it.
- Increase hair growth
- Thicken hair that may be starting to thin out
- Reduce/Prevent hair damage
- Eliminate dry hair
- Make hair fuller and shinier
- Deeply condition and moisturize hair and scalp
When selecting the perfect oil for your hair, be sure to always read the ingredient list, know what’s in it, and most importantly, listen to your hair. What works for one person may not work for another. Try and oil out and you feel it’s not working for you, move on to something else. Do keep in mind that oils are greasy. Don’t over use or use too much. Also, make sure you are washing your hair thoroughly.